He is a Gary Stu, the male version of a Mary Sue.
1. Name. For some, all it takes is the author liking the name of their characters to make those characters Sues or Stus. This is utterly ridiculous. But let's include this idea since so many people go spastic over OCs having names their authors like or that are similar to their own.
Does J. K. Rowling like the name Harry? Yes.
2. Tragic past? Yes.
His parents were tragically murdered by Voldimort when Harry was just a baby.
He lives in a completely loveless environment with his uncle Vernon and aunt Petunia, who dote over spoiled brat Dudley Dursley while treating Harry worse than a pesky squirrel that refuses to go away.
3. Does he get out of and overcome it? Yes.
One day, Harry gets rescued by being enrolled at Hogwarts, a wizarding school.
4. Is he strongly hated or liked by most people? Yes.
In school, there are no middle of the road people, everybody seems to absolutely adore or hate Harry. He constantly has to put up with unwanted attention from both sides, and even the staff have their own agendas involving him.
5. Unique appearance. Does it have significance? Yes.
Harry has a lightning shaped scar on his forehead where Voldemort had hit and did not manage to kill him while in the act of murdering his parents. This scar becomes a link to both their souls, and Voldimort with his half a soul or about seven hundred little bits and pieces of compartmentalized soul called horcruxes, whatever! Anyway, the repulsive thing has one thing on his mind and one thing only, to snatch Harry's soul for himself.
6. Agendas. Do the most important agendas of other people depend on him? Yes. The main thing is Harry VS. Voldimortt, until thankfully, the self-enamoured old wind-bag is finally killed in the last book because of a monumental wand screw-up.
7. Marriage or death? Yes. Harry and Ginny Weasley are happily married with several children 19 years later in the book's epilog.
Unfortunately, some Potter wish-fulfillment fantasy fans and Herry/Hermione shippers have reacted very badly, because the official version upset their own desires for the way the story ends.
Others who were just casual fans or little more than a bit curious are happy with the way the series ended and are glad all the Harry hooplah has finally died down at least somewhat.
Ferbguy101 submitted these great additions in a comment on the Youtube video.
👱 "I think harry's a gary stu but I think the reasoning you used for it was weak, having him being "the chosen one" or the fact that his best friend isn't cant do anything better than harry can besides chess.Or that only harry can beat voldemort. Or how anyone who picks on harry is intimidated by his power or (snape) hates his father and has a horrible past and is to an extent a bully period.Or how everyone sacrifices themselves for harry. Or how amazing he is at anything that matters. REASONING"
🧝♀️ Wow! That's hitting the nail right on the head. Very well said.
Back to Harry Potter And The Twilight Hunger Games
Back to Mary Sue page